Virginia HB1173 Affecting Stormwater Programs Passes House of Delegates 93-1
Signs are pointing to the Virginia General Assembly adopting HB1173 on the heels of a 93-1 vote on Wednesday in the House of Delegates. HB1173 will allow for non-MS4 localities to opt out of becoming the VSMP Authority and transfer those responsibilities to DEQ. There are other notable revisions to the Virginia Stormwater Management Law provided in HB1173 including:
- Incorporation of an “agreement in lieu of” for construction of a single-family residence,
- A provision for non-MS4 localities to opt out of serving asVSMP authority,
- A requirement that the State enforce state permits,
- Reciprocity with “…programs in other states for the certification of proprietary best management practices,” and
- Updates to the hearings and appeals processes.
Yesterday, the Senate referred HB1173 to the Committee on Agriculture, Conservation, and Natural Resources. The latest version of the Bill and revisions included in HB1173 can be found at http://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?141+ful+HB1173H2